TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
Mark Mazzoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:41:38 -0800
Charlie,
I would suggest taking X-sections of the darker toned pads.  You'll likely
find that there is no nickel on those pads.  An XRF reading would probably
show 1-2 microinches of nickel and X-section will probably verify that the
problem is there, not the gold.  There are debates as to what causes this;
poor cleaning prior to nickel, galvanic reaction, poor initiation of the
nickel bath, problems with the activator (catalyst), static charge, and
probably others.  I've seen the same problem using two different ENIG
chemical suppliers.  Both had their own explanations, but neither vendor
was able to make it go away for good.  The problem occurred on basically
the same pads on several panels, making a strong argument for static charge
and/or galvanic cell reaction.  A third supplier that I'm working with now
has (so far) been able to make the problem go away.

In any event, your problem is not the lack of luster of the gold
finish......... it's the absence of nickel.  Immersion gold deposits by ion
replacement with nickel ions.  There was enough nickel deposited to get the
gold to take but that's it.  Immersion gold is sacrificial and is there
only to protect the solderability of the nickel.  In the case of these
boards you may find that there's no nickel there to solder to.

Mark Mazzoli