TECHNET Archives

December 2000

From:
"Stephen R. Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:06:31 EST
Hey all,

I opened my email today and found I had two emails from someone called
[log in to unmask] and they both had attachments to them. Being the curious
sort that I am, I opened one email and saw that it was in spanish...the
attachment was in spanish as well.

The attachment file name was enano porno.exe. Being the paranoid sort, I
didn't open the attachment but checked at symatec's web page and found that
the attachment was a VERY nasty worm called HYBRIS...

The reason that I'm posting about this is that there could be somebody on the
list that is infected with HYBRIS and doesn't know it. Like most worms, the
virus will send emails out to everybody in your address book, and the virus
has the uncanny ability to change the return email address to something that
doesn't exist, and also change the way it behaves by updating itself with
downloads from the internet.

I looked at the email headers on the email that was sent to me, and it
originated from someone that has jmolina in their email address, I don't know
if there is a J Molina on this list or not.

There is a web page at http://www.sexyfun.net, and it was created on December

I've also pasted a write-up about this virus from Kaspersky Labs...this be
one nasty virus.

-Steve Gregory-

Hybris: The Story Continues...New dangerous versions of the virus have been
detected "in the wild"

November 13, 2000 – Kaspersky Lab, an international data-security
software-development company, warns users of the discovery of Hybris, a new
Internet-worm. Kaspersky Lab has been receiving reports of the discovery of
this virus "in the wild" worldwide, being particularly active in Latin
America although infections by this virus have also been found in Europe.

The first version of this Internet worm was discovered by Kaspersky Lab and
several other anti-virus software developers at the end of September and was
classified as a low risk malicious program. However, within the last few
days, the company has been inundated by reports from users whose computers
have been infected by this virus. At this moment, Kaspersky Lab has
discovered five versions of Hybris, and it is expected that new variations
will be found in the near future.

The Internet worm Hybris spreads by attaching itself to infected e-mails and
works only under MS Windows. When the recipient executes the attached file,
Hybris infects the host PC. The procedure for infection is typical for this
type of malicious program and is performed in a similar way to the Happy or
MTX viruses.

To proliferate, the worm infects the WSOCK32.DLL library and also intercepts
the Windows function that establishes the network connection; it then scans
sent and received data for any e-mail addresses, and sends copies of itself
to these e-mail addresses. Subject, text and name of the attached file are
chosen randomly, for example: