LEADFREE Archives

December 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 11:01:07 +0200
Gordon

Let's face it, the recovery of all metals from ore is environmentally
hazardous. Gold is a case in point. How many tonnes of waste is produced
(crushed rock) to extract 1 tonne of gold? And that is a metal which is
not in the form of ore and requires only separation. How many people
have been killed or handicapped in Brazil because separation is done by
means of mercury amalgams? How much environmental harm has been done
because of cyanide in gold-plating baths? In this country, where I'm
living, the copper ore which is exploited is in the form of chalcosite
or copper sulfide Cu2S. What do you think happens to the sulfur? In
Malaysia, vast areas of primary rain forest are eliminated, for ever, to
extract alluvial deposits of tin ore.

Nickel is known as a hazardous and toxic metal. The new Euro coins use a
nickel-free alloy for this reason.

The fact that a given metal is used or not used for doing a given job is
not material to whether it is a hazard or not. Lead pipes have been used
for conveying water into homes until fairly recently. The cynics amongst
us will not be surprised by saying that it explains much about me if I
tell you that the house I was brought up in, which is the same age as
myself, had lead plumbing. In fact, the word 'plumbing' is derived from
the Latin for lead. Food cans were seam-soldered with a tin-lead alloy
until recently. Ceramic glazes for tableware contained lead up to just a
few decades ago. Lead crystal glassware is still sold. Not to mention
the various alloying ingredients of pewterware. Lead has a bad press
because of all this, yet we survived through the "lead age", which, in
fact, lasted over 2000 years and is coming to a halt only now. We are
only just approaching the end of the "nickel age", as we learn more
about the toxicology and epidemiology of the metal. I don't know yet
what the impact will be on alloys with a relatively low nickel content
(<20%), such as 18/8 and 18/8/2 stainless steels but the higher nickel
alloys are certainly on the way out, as will be "unnecessary" uses, such
as coins, where less toxic alloys are possible. Bare nickel plating will
also be frowned upon, but whether nickel will be acceptable if
overplated remains a moot point. The use of silver or silver plating for
tableware is also doubtful. It oxidises and sulfidises very readily,
thus requiring polishing. This often leaves residues in the form of a
mixture of polishing slurries, their solvents and metal compounds in
crevices, such as in decorations, inscriptions or the tines of a fork.
Can this be good for the health? And where are the copper pots of yester
year? Relegated to attractive decoration for the kitchen. Gold jewellery
is not pure gold, but gold alloyed with other potentially harmful metals
for cutaneous absorption of their salts, What I am saying is that the
harmless metal of yesterday is proving to be the hazard of today and the
process is continuing as toxicologists (and environmentalists) learn
more in their very young and modern science. Oh, by the way, when I was
young, the only light-fast green pigments suitable for use on wallpaper
were known as Scheele's green and were chemically a copper
hydroarsenite.

I agree that I think that it is possible to be more royalist than the
king and this has been adequately shown in the lead-free solder debate,
where technocrats and economically interested parties have emotionally
reacted on the word "lead" rather than on a scientific assessment of
whether or not there is a hazard in using lead in solder, from the
cradle to the grave. Notwithstanding, I think we owe ourselves the
luxury of a scientific assessment of every material we use in the
electronics industry from all standpoints and the potential
cradle-to-grave risks of using it. Just to foment the debate further,
bromine is the current bête noire of environmentalists, so we are now
looking at substitutes for tetrabromobisphenol A as a means of
flameproofing FR-4 laminates. Some of the substitutes proposed for this
are probably far more environmentally undesirable, yet they are
acceptable because they do not contain a dreaded halogen (even though
halogens are necessarily used in the production of most epoxy resins,
the epoxy group being supplied in the form of epichlorohydrin, which is
quite a nasty substance).

As you say, the decisions are largely political and are based largely on
the emotional and unscientific half-truths of ill-informed technocrats
whose masters are only interested in how many votes they can get by
appearing as knights in shining armour, protecting the populace from all
the nasties that man can produce. They have no care as to the realities
of the situation, as long as they can continue using their gas-guzzling
cars without hindrance. The recent failure of the talks in The Hague on
climate change is a glaring example: no US politician would be
re-elected if he supported cutting down on CO2 emissions. The last one
to do so was "Dubya's" poppa and look what happened to him just 8 years
ago. The world can go to hell, rather than attack the sacrosanct
automobile, the 21st century's god.

Brian