LEADFREE Archives

December 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 08:16:26 +0200
John

Semantically, you may be right. In practice, it would mean that a
scientifically established determination of an OEL or (in the USA) PEL
would be required after full chronic toxicological testing and an
established green light from atmospheric scientists. Apart from avoiding
the risk of safety issues (and hence liability suits), it would allow
for ethical marketing and not the free-for-all of half-truths and
downright lies that we are subjected to, today (yes, I can substantiate
that statement!). It would not mean that the figures could not be
subsequently modified in either direction should new scientific
information come to light, as is already the case.

As I mentioned before, the pharmaceutical industry tests before
marketing. Why do other chemical industries market before testing?

Brian