LEADFREE Archives

December 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:12:26 -0700
Jim,
        I must agree with Graham.  I would dare say that MOST companies are
currently wave soldering eutectic tin/lead with their solder pot
temperatures between 480 and 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
        However, that still doesn't help the higher temperatures of surface
mount.  Ironically, many of the consortium's papers have indicated that
problems with lead-free wave solder may push the industry to pure SMT.
However, as Hans pointed out with electrolytic capacitors, this is probably
unlikely since an easy way to overcome the high SMT temperatures is to
revert back to through-hole.  ("I shudder at the thought").

Ryan Grant
Advanced Technology Engineer
MCMS
(208) 898-1145