LEADFREE Archives

December 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:12:59 -0500
Doug:

Thank you for the thorough update.

Surface mount reflow is certainly a major issue. And, as you've pointed
out, there is no need in that process for components to reach
temperatures 40°C above the melting point of the solder.

Wave soldering presents different conditions. If we switch from eutectic
tin/lead in wave solder baths, the additional heat is almost certainly
necessary (though I continue to wonder how well the replacement alloys
will perform with respect to issue such as bridging and solder spikes
even with the higher temperatures). Do you have any thoughts or test
results relating to that process?

Jim Smith
Managing Director
Cambridge Management Sciences, Inc.