DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Stan Radzio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:22:58 -0800
You can either download a free copy of eCapture
eCapture is a free online version of Orcad's popular Capture schematic
program. It is designed for use with www.activeparts.com
<http:\\www.activeparts.com>, Orcad's free online component catalog. It does
everything Orcad Capture does, but it has some differences as well.
Specifically, eCapture requires a live Internet connection in order for you
to design with it. There are several reasons for this:
        Unlike Capture, eCapture doesn't ship with libraries; instead, you
get parts for your design from activeparts.com.
        eCapture includes a "banner" that displays messages tailored to your
personal profile. Your profile is built based on your use of eCapture and
activeparts.com. This is similar to the way most web sites work today.
There are a number of good reasons why you should use eCapture to create
your design. This list provides just a few of those reasons:
*       Save time. You never have to leave your schematic editor to research
a part. All the information is organized so it's a click away. We do the
work of creating the schematic symbol and connecting it to all the online
information so you don't spend your time chasing down documents when you
hand off your design and part lists to get your parts procured and your
design manufactured. And when it's time to source the parts for your
prototype, we can tell you who has it and what the catalog price is.
*       Design anywhere. With Internet access to a component catalog of over
500,000 parts, you can design from home or on the road. Whenever and
wherever you prefer to design.
*       Make informed choices. The online catalog provides links to the
manufacturer datasheets for complete parametric data, usage, and application
notes. You can review alternatives without searching across multiple sites.
When you've made a preliminary decision, review availability and pricing and
design it in with a single click. You'll also know if the parts you're using
in your design are available and who has them. You'll have access to
availability and pricing information from participating distributors.

or you can download the demo version of OrCAD software.  A free CD with the
demo is also available

I need someone who does not have Capture or Layout to be able to see the
Capture schematic design (.DSN) and Layout board design (.MAX) files I send
to them. How can they view my files without purchasing the full products?
Solution:
Capture .DSN files and Layout .MAX files are viewable using demo versions of
these products. You can order an Orcad Release 9.1 demo CD from
<http://www.orcad.com/Product/Schematic/evalrequest.asp>. If you would like
to see the specifications of the programs on the demo CD before you order
it, you can find them at
<http://www.orcad.com/Partner/Solution/ContentPage/cdspec.asp>.

-Stan