TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
"Roger M. Stoops" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:09:50 -0500
James,
What your vendor is proposing is the foil construction method of PWBs vs.
core construction.  For some vendors, foil construction saves a little
money, provides easier manufacturing (fewer innerlayer cores to process),
reduces warpage, and possibly a few other benefits one of the fab gurus
could comment on..  In the end you have the same, but possibly better,
board.  Most of our boards are foil construction, and we have seen no
problems with this form of PWB construction.
Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer

Spectra Precision Inc./Trimble Navigation Ltd.
5475 Kellenburger Rd.
Dayton, OH 45424-1099 USA
Ph: 937.233.8921 or 937.233.4574 ext 288
Fax: 937.233.7511

                    "Marsico, James"
                    <James.Marsico@D        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    P.AIL.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by: TechNet        Subject:     [TN] MULTILAYER BOARD LAY-UP

                    11/06/00 08:21
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "TechNet
                    E-Mail Forum.";
                    Please respond
                    to "Marsico,
                    James"

Dear Techneters:

I have a six-layer board design which requires three polyimide cores bonded
together with two layers of prepreg.  Our PWB supplier is recommending
using
two cores bonded together with prepreg, then bonding copper foil on both
outside layers also using prepreg.  The resultant dielectric thickness'
would remain similar to the original design.  Are there any drawbacks to
this approach?  What is the benefit?

Thanks,
Jim M.

E-mail Archives