TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
John Brewer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:45:11 -0500
Ceramic caps can be problematic for several reasons:

* Make sure that the caps are not adjacent to "breakaway"
   areas, or edges of boards that are cut apart. We've recently
   worked a problem where V-scrored boards were then
   sheared using a double pizza cutter arrangement, and the
   caps still cracked.

* Make sure that they are not mounted near connectors
requiring high tension to remove or install. The flex in
the panel when doing such, is enough in many cases
to break the cap.  Likewise, ensure that the test process
or any other handling operation does not flex the board.

* Verify your placement equipment to ensure that
it's traveling the correct amount in the Z axis and
not trying to push the cap through the board. :-)

I believe Kemet has a great treatise on using
ceramic caps, for free if you ask for it!

Let us know how it works out!
John