TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
"Tostevin, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:04:13 -0600
Trevor,

If you have access to sectioning equipment, try this.  Cut out a section
that has a good assortment of glued or known bad parts on it.  Cut and grind
off any topside parts until the L1 layer is flat.  Pot the section, with L1
down - so it'll face the grinding wheel.  Take the potted section, and grind
up, through L1, toward the bottomside of the board.  It's easy to keep this
planar section flat because the different layers should uniformly appear
across the section, and then uniformly disappear as you keep grinding toward
the next layer.  When you get to the last layer, and the soldermask beneath
the glue dots, go the rest of the way with very light pressure, and lots of
water with a worn 600 disk.  Finish with a diamond mesh, until you are left
with only the soldermask and the glue dots between the component mounting
pads of the bottomside parts which are still embedded in the section.  With
practice, you can remove all the mask, or get it so thin that it's virtually
transparent.  If it stubbornly adheres to the section, you may want to flake
it off with a sharp pick.

You might find that your glue dots look something like the cross section of
a tomato.  The hygroscopic characteristics of your adhesive (not all
adhesives are created equal in this regard),  the surrounding environment -
especially the humidity, and the curing profile are all critical factors in
this problem.

Bruce Tostevin
Benchmark Electronics
Hudson, NH