TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:34:16 -0500
Patty
"Micro sand blasting" refers to using a device related to a sand blaster, for the purpose of removing a coating.  Typically used for removal of conformal coating, but it could be used for other things - say you want to take off some soldermask...   Strictly speaking, not sand blasting as the media used is not sand - that would eat through a CCA pretty quick!

If one was a lawyer one might say that it is another form of mechanical abrasion, but we won't get into that.  And the author didn't mention the old "burn it off" method...

There are several manufacturers of micro blasting equipment - check www.ccrco.com for one example.

regards

Graham Collins
Process Engineer, Litton Systems Canada, Atlantic Facility
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/21/00 03:57PM >>>
Technet colleagues,

My boss came across the term "micro sand blasting" in an article in the
April 2000 edition of SMT Magazine.

He asked me what that was and of course I did not have an answer.  Can
someone give me a nice description of this operation or process?

The article had to do with Conformal Coatings and the pertinent sentence
was:  "Rework on acrylics and urethanes can be handled using mechanical
abrasion or micro sand blasting."

Thanks for your help,
Patty
Patricia J. Goldman