TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Phil Crepeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:59:04 -0800
hi,

as  you are probably well aware, steam aging is a test that tells you something about the shelf life of a finished surface in a relatively short amount of time.  your problem is correlating the test parameters to your local conditions (storage time, temperature, humidity).  if you store your boards in a vacuum environment, a steam aging test probably would be of no use to you.  if you store your bare boards in a warehouse with an uncontrolled, tropical environment, a steam age test would be valuable.

a second problem you will face is getting your pwb fabricator to accept this test.

your procurement drawing could specify an exception to this 'tin/tin-lead, only' condition for j-std-003 if that is what you want to do.

phil