TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Sherry Goodell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 08:08:56 -0800
HASL or HAL finishing is Hot Air Solder Leveling.  The finish is a solder
that is "leveled" by the use of hot air.  It is currently Sn63Pb37 solder
and it is compatible with several lead free alloys as well.  Lead free
studies are under way to better understand the properties of the alloys and
to be ready for upcoming mandates.

Hi Waleed,
I suggest you visit www.huggroup.org  You can download "Chapter 30"  which
is an overview of HASL and should give you pretty good idea of the process.
HASL has been around for a very long time, and although it does have some
limitations, such as wire-bonding, it is considered by many to be the best
overall surface finish.  There is an old saying the "nothing solders like
solder".

Other finishes include NiAu, White Tin, OSP and Immersion Silver.  Each one
has its own advantage, such as flatness, but each has its own set of
problems as well.  I will let the experts in each of these finishes give you
information on them as my first hand experience is with the HAL process.

If I can be of any further help please contact me on or offline and I try to
answer any specific questions.

Best regards,
Sherry Goodell
HUG Coordinator