TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
"Massey, Roger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:41:32 -0000
Frank,

        You dont say what type of voids you are getting, wedge,
metallisation, etch out? or what the aspect ratio is on the product you are
getting problems on, is the defect more prevalent on products that are
thick, or is it on all panel thicknesses?

        I guess you have confirmed that all holes are free from debris
before pattern plate (real pain in the neck this one) Include a close look
at rinse solutions,  could be that rinsing post resist develop is not
sufficiently cleaning out residues, and you just have a none platable layer
in the bore of the hole.

        Is there any pattern to the location of those voids that you are
getting, edge of panels,  have the panels been reworked?  we have found that
vibration is critical, especially on high aspect ratio stuff and this is
likely to vary across the flight bar in the plating lines.  when it occurs,
have the panels all been in the same plating tank, or common sump, could be
related to a contaminated sump.

    I guess we would need pictures to help as much as possible, unless the
plating gurus come up with something quick

    Good luck
        Roger