LEADFREE Archives

November 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:35:19 +0200
Today is the start of the "hunting" season in this little island.
According to the newspapers, there will be 50,000 so-called "sportsmen"
in the hills, each using an average of 25 cartridges with 20 g of lead
shot (yes, it is still used). They take pot shots at anything that they
think that moves, whether suitable for the pot or not (occasionally at
each other, as well, but perhaps not frequently enough). This makes me
thing we are talking about 25,000 kg of finely divided, easily oxidised,
lead particles scattered indiscriminately over the whole countryside,
just in one day. If we take the 24 official days when hunting is
permitted plus all the poaching that occurs, we are therefore talking
about 500 to 1000 tonnes of lead.

There is virtually no electronics industry in this country, so nearly
all the tin/lead alloy imported is in finished products plus the odd
reels of solder used by TV repair workshops. With a total population of
about 500,000 in the free part of the country, the finished products
will be essentially TV sets, computers and (above all) cellphones (we
have proportionally the highest density of cellphones in the world,
according to the newspapers). How much solder will there be in the
50,000 TVs, 75,000 PCs/monitors and 150,000 cellphones imported per
year? 1 tonne or maybe 2 tonnes, 40% of which is lead: less than
1/1000th the amount of lead scattered about by hunters.

Where is our sense of proportion?

Brian