TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
"Roger M. Stoops" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:59:08 -0400
Frank,
IPC-2222, Sec. 10.1.1 covers edge spacing, and refers to IPC-2221, Table
6-1, with an additional 0.4mm clearance (not considering using card
guides).  Using table 6-1, for internal conductors, voltages under 15V peak
(AC or DC), min electrical conductor spacing is 0.05mm for a bare board.
So the min clearance per IPC for this example is 0.45mm [0.0177"].
A designer also needs to add to that the negative tolerance range for the
pcb border for fabrication tolerance.  If the tolerance is say +/-0.010
(total tolerance range is 0.020), 0.018 + 0.010 = 0.028 (rounded) would be
needed, minimum, as a clearance on an inner-layer.
Hope it helps...
Roger M. Stoops, C.I.D., PCB Designer

Spectra Precision Inc./Trimble Navigation Ltd.
5475 Kellenburger Rd.
Dayton, OH 45424-1099 USA
Ph: 937.233.8921 or 937.233.4574 ext 288
Fax: 937.233.7511

                    Franklin D Asbell
                    <fasbell@NETWORKCIR        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    CUITS.COM>                 cc:
                    Sent by: TechNet           Subject:     Re: [TN] Exposed power-ground plane

                    10/05/88 01:33 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "TechNet E-Mail
                    Forum."; Please
                    respond to Franklin
                    D Asbell

But what specification would this fall under...IPC 6012? A-600? I've
reviewed both
and even went back into D-275 to no avail. I did read a paragraph about
internal
layers must meet the same criteria for outer layers but nothing close to
what I was
expecting to see in these documents.

Any direction from the gang would be wonderful

Franklin