TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Steve DiBartolomeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:34:21 -0800
At 03:17 PM 10/30/00 -0800, you wrote:
>I am looking for guidance on die design for assembly in leadframe products.
> Specifically:  a die assembled in a soic leadframe.  I am having
>difficulty in finding reference to this subject and I'm wondering if I am
>using the right terms to describe this.  Can anyone help with 1) defining
>this process, 2) refer design guidelines for this process?
>Thank you.

There are literally thousands of leadframes available - so the die design
really revolves around where you place die pads, how large they are and
how they are spaced.

Amkor Technology has a very long document available in PDF format that
describes the pad sizing and spacing rules for a wide range of leadframes.
In general it is the wires that constrain things.

If you have a general die layout you can send it to me (X,Y coordinates)
and I will give you some guidance on how the wirebonding limitations.

If you have selected the leadframe already it is pretty straightforward
to place the die pads based on basic wirebonding rules - min wire length,
max wire length (typically in the 4 mm range).

Regards,

Steve DiBartolomeo      Microelectronic Tools and Techniques
[log in to unmask]         Santa Cruz, CA
[log in to unmask]       www.artwork.com