TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:31:34 +0300
Hakan

What you wish to do is ***very*** difficult. My guess is that the
preforms are oxidised and argon plasma would not remove the oxide film:
you need a reducing plasma to give a significant effect, but the
preforms would re-oxidise within the first seconds of contacting air. To
do fluxless soldering, everything MUST be oxide-free and
contamination-free if you wish to stand half-a-chance. At the very
least, you need a reducing atmosphere (not an inert one) in the oven, as
well. 5% hydrogen 95% nitrogen may do the trick provided that the
preforms are freshly deoxidised (chemically may be easier than plasma)
and that all components are not contaminated in any way. A minute amount
of flux would help, as well. Also, please remember that the metals,
however noble, in the fired paste, are held in a glass matrix, however
thin, and that glass is not the easiest material to tin, short of using
indium, of course.

FWIW

Brian