TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:05:19 +0300
Larry

It may be old hat, but I vaguely remember in the days of MIL specs that
it says somewhere words to the effect of thou shalt cross-hatch all
areas greater than 1" diameter. There was a good reason for it, and
probably still is. I remember about 30 years ago, a designer produced a
board, about 200 x 300 mm, where about 1/3 of it was solid copper at one
end on the solder side and 1/3 of it was the same at the other end on
the other side. After wave soldering, it took on a beautiful S shape,
even when restrained with temporary stiffeners. I told the guy to
cross-hatch the solid zones. The unbalance still caused an S-shape but
to about only an acceptable 1/3 of what it was before. The "bimetal
effect" is largely broken with cross hatching and this can only improve
reliability.

FWIW

Brian