TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:59:13 -0400
Albert,

I agree totally with what Doug and Brian have stated. The 15 minute test
time came from a MIL-STD. It was my experience that usually after 5 minutes,
the amount of ionic residue collected would be monitored. I will indicate
that some of our customers have boards so dirty that the test will exceed 20
minutes, but that is usually not the case. Assuming that your process is
under control and is cleaning properly, the omegameter test would last
approximately 15 minutes.

Concerning the report, I can provide it to you (or anyone else)
electronically, but since it is approximately 15 Mbytes in size (over 200
pages), I can provide it to you if you contact me directly. Some people have
tried accessing it from our website, only to have their server come to its
knees when a 15 Mbyte E-Mail goes through. Call me with your address and I
will get it to you.

One other thought. If your omegameter is old, you may want to consider
getting it checked out. I have seen Omegameters with the Kenco label on them
instead of either Alpha Metals or Cookson Electronics. If you have an old
Kenco omegameter, I would suggest contacting Alpha Metals / Cookson on
getting a new system since when I last checked, the Kenco units are no
longer being supported. If you DI columns are dirty, this could prolong the
test and make your test results inaccurate. Their website is:

http://www.scscookson.com/instruments/

Good Luck.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer