TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Nancy Trumbull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:38:01 -0400
Hi David,

First I have a question sorry if it sounds dumb but what is Backplane.

And maybe this is wrong but my first question to you is what does your drawing say and will this lift affect fit or function in the final stage.

If not I  have never went over a 0.5mm lift and you will need to address the tip factor.  The mating connector might not work if not straight.   Also there is the possible of lifting a pad/land from the actual assembling of the mate. So check this issue before making you height call.
Maybe none of this matters in a backplane press fit .
Just all a guess on my part but these are standard questions I ask myself when addressing an issue.
Good Luck
Nancy T.

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/18/00 08:10AM >>>
Hi All,

I have ordered copies of the IPC backplane standards but unfortunately they
have not yet arrived.

I need to know what the specification for Press fit connectors are in terms
of how much the connector is allowed to be raised off the PCB.

I have been told the industry standard is 0.25mm but I need conformation of
what IPC states and the IPC number which this is mentioned in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David Bowers

the BODY (NOT the subject field): SIGNOFF TECHNET