TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:37:10 +0200
Collapsing or not collapsing balls? Solder alloys used? Flux activation procedure? Built-in moisture in paste? Coplanarity? Warpage? Black pads? Oxides? Protection gas? Etc. Seem to be a number of causes for 'voids', both big and small ones. From thermomechanical point of view minor voids seem to be a  minor problem (Wassink, Manko etc)in most finepitch joints. We think the problem is to find what KIND of void. If the void is caused by bad wetting or dewetting I think there could be a problem. So, you have to have some distinction between 'good' and 'bad' voids.  Dewetting voids next to the pad interface can't be healthy, while voids on inside of a normal solder joint are widely acceptable. Closer identification of void nature isn't a peace of a cake, you need market's best Xray and possibly also a Sonoscan or other laminograph. Will be interesting to see what TN's gurus will add here...

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems