TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
James Moffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:00:01 EDT
Hi Barry:
- No, I'm not implying that folks who use the A-610 are ignorant at all, just
noting that the documents are philosophically different.  People vote with
their pocketbooks as well as their feet, and the A-610 is the most popular
document ever published by the IPC, and it is not purchased or used by
ignorant people.  Think of J/STD-001 as a set of end wrenches, each paragraph
(wrench) specifically sized to do a particular job, and A-610 as a crescent
adjustable wrench, capable of doing the same job as the end wrench, but in a
different manner.  It is sort of an apples and oranges comparison, both
documents are good, the technical handshake between the documents is
excellent (no technical differences), but each approaching the same end
product quality in a different manner.
- In my experience A-610 is used by a lot of Class 1 manufacturers because it
is so easy to implement and so unequivocal.  I know, I know, Class 1 folks
are sometimes looked down upon by those who dwell in the rarefied atmosphere
of Class 3 products.  Believe me, the folks who build Class 1 products
(cellphones, pagers, TV's, VCR's, etc. at a rate of 1,000,000/month) have
forgotten more about process control than most folks will ever know.
- By the way, we teach the IPC Standards (A-610, J/STD-001, and the new
7711/7721 Rework/Repair Program [which we created for the IPC]) at both the
Instructor and Operator level and have found failure rates to be
approximately equal across the Instructor classes (Operator classes have a
slightly higher failure rate offshore and on the left coast due to ESL
operators).
- Hope this clarifies the intent of my earlier message, no offense intended
to users of A-610.
- Regards, Jim Moffitt, Technical Director, Electronics Training Advantage,
Indianapolis, IN