TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Graham Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:59:39 -0400
G'day TechNet!
A question for you test experts out there.

Our current design rules say that for incircuit testing, the probe can contact only test pads or solder filled vias.  The logic for not probing the terminations on SMT chip caps or resistors is that the probe may push closed an open joint (which then re-opens when the probe is gone).  The assembly passes test but doesn't work - not good.  If we are doing the glue-on and wave solder attach process, this is sound logic and I'm all for it.

But.  Let's say I'm using partial wave fixturing.  Thus, my smt chips are all paste reflow attached, with a very low defect rate.  I'm then pretty confident that I'm not going to get a lot of open joints.  Now can we allow ICT probes to hit on the end terminations of these parts?

Specifically, my question is this: will incircuit test probes do any sort of damage to a SMT chip type capacitor or resistor?  What do other folks in TechNet allow?  Thanks!

regards

Graham Collins
Process Engineer, Litton Systems Canada, Atlantic Facility
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215