TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Tom Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:20:12 -0400
Ken,

 The icon & basic menu for ODB++ are available in Allegro 13.6 but
your layout house will have to go to :

http://www.valor.com/cadenceodb.htm

where after filling out a questionnaire about their professional
life history, they can download the actual ODB++ software patch
for  Allegro . Instructions are included & it is free. If your
manufacturers use ODB++ , they can provide you with a Valor
rules file so you can check your design against their design rules.

 The Allegro software for the competing GenCam format is now available
from OHIO Design Automation [http://www.ohio-da.com]. Details
available @

http://www.ohio-da.com/gencam.htm

[No price is given but I'm sure this one isn't free. I thought Allegro was
going
to integrate GenCam without one having to purchase add-on software from
third parties but maybe that comes later.( Insert graphic of maintance $$$s
flying away here!)]

 There are other similar products as well, such as Fabmaster
[http://www.fabmaster.com/],
though I believe it is for assembly only. We currently use this format but
my only knowledge
of it as a PCB Designer is that  we create an output  file & then dump it
electronically into a
somewhat dark hole on the other side of the world and PWAs eventually come
  back from
there having used this data.

May the best format win (or the best formats coexist),

Tom Martin
Sr. PCB Designer, ASE Technologies USA
VP Smoky Mountain Chapter, IPC Designer's Council