TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Julian Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:18:07 +0100
Dear All,

I am from Valor Computerized Systems, the company who funded the development
of the ODB++ CAD/CAM data exchange format. I hope I can explain a few
points.

As others have mentioned in this email thread, ODB++ contains all data
required for manufacture of a bare board, and also the data for assembly and
test (testpoints, netlist, component bills-of-material, component physical
models). The goal of ODB++ is to provide a more efficient method for
transferring designs between the design and manufacturing stages, including
feedback of manufacturability rules and constraints. The data exchange is
less ambiguous, and less effort has to be made by the manufacturing
engineers to understand the incoming data, which saves time, money, and
reduces the risk of mistakes. For the designer, he only has to produce one
file, not the usual combination of BOM/Gerber/Excellon/IPC-D-356/HP-GL
etc...

The format is open, and available to any other third parties to make use of,
in addition to the Valor-supplied DFM and CAM systems. The following
companies support output of ODB++ from CAD:

Cadence (Allegro from V13.6 and onwards, see the Cadence website)
Mentor (Expedition, and by the end of this year, Boardstation as well)
Intercept Technology (Pantheon)
Zuken (CR5000 and Visula)
Valor (Enterprise 3000 DFM system for PCB designers)
Router Solutions (ICT applications and format translators)
Xynetix Design Systems

The following CAM tools read in ODB++

Fastechnologies (DNC/CNC systems)
Valor (Trilogy 5000)
Frontline (Genesis 2000)
Barco-ETS (UCAM)

Beyond this, the following costing and production-control companies have
ODB++ interfaces:

Prestim
Pro-MS
Webquote

In addition to the above companies, the following additional 3rd-parties are
in the process of implementing the format:

WISE
Lavenir
Graphicode
ACT
Bartels (layout system)

The policy of Valor with regard to ODB++ is this:

1. To support any and all 3rd-party companies who wish to implement it. We
provide a testing and advisory service to any members of the Valor "Open
Systems Alliance".

2. To improve and develop the standard to meet the emerging and changing
needs of the industry, for example, by making the format fully
XML-compliant. The development of the format is driven by the users, of whom
there are more than 1000 world-wide.

3. To offer the ODB++ format to industry standards-bodies as a basis for a
formal standard, including handing over responsibility for the further
development of the format specification. Until this occurs, Valor will
continue to develop the format and support all 3rd-parties.

I hope this information is useful; I will be glad to receive any further
feedback.

Best wishes,

Julian Coates
Valor Computerized Systems Ltd. (Israel)

www.valor.com

tel: int+44 790 171 2552

The