TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:36:24 +0300
Hi!

The CAD system I use (Vutrax) has a standard silk-screen legend symbol
on the footprint that looks something like:

O--|>|--O

(as near as I can represent in ASCII characters), where O is the
position of the solder pads. This seems pretty unequivocal, because it
is placed the right way round, provided that the diode is the right way
round in the schematic. I'm always wary of A, K, + and - because not
everyone realises which is the anode or cathode, all they know is that
the conventional current flows from l to r in the above symbol and the
electrons in the opposite. Is the +, for example, the LH terminal,
because it represents the diode conducting or is it the RH one, because
this is where the current comes out of it with a voltage drop of 0.7 or
whatever? Logically, I suppose it should represent the same polarity
symbol as on the component itself but, if one changes
manufacturer,...?????

Brian