TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Ralph Richart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:31:37 -0700
A while ago, I posted a mail to this forum regarding a customer with a
board that was supposed to be gold, but built SMOBC (solder on the
pads).  This was bad, because there are battery contacts on the board,
and solder is bad for batteries (I learned that here!).

Long story short is that they are still trying the rework.

I presented them a version of the solution proposed here which was to
make some sister cards with a gold finish, and superimpose them on the
"need to be gold" area, connecting the two through a via and jumper.

They are considering that proposal, but have some questions about solder
(the rest of the board):

1. The rest of the board is surface mount, nothing fancy.  The only
water these boards may see is "perspiration and humidity" , but not any
extended immersion.  Do they have to worry about the reliability or
integrity of their solder joints over time?

2. If they wanted to do an aging simulation, is there a quick and dirty
way to do this, or some type of testing lab they can contact?

thanks for everybody's input...

ralph richart