TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
David Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 05:29:21 -0700
Bill: Assuming poorly soldered terminations is the reason the components are falling
from the boards, your customer is correct.  Vibration testing is an excellent method
for identifying poorly soldered teminations.

As you say vibration testing can be over-done.  In assessing that, useful information
about the test [in addition to the duration] would be frequency and "amplitude" of
vibration.

Yano, if your customer is seeing field failures, it seems reasonable for them to take
steps to protect their customer from failing product and to work to correct the
problem.

So, why are you doing thermal screening, while your customers is using vibratory
screening?  Is there more than one failure mode?

Dave Fish