TECHNET Archives

October 2000

From:
Kemi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:54:45 -0400
From: KEMI A. LEWIS

Hi my name is Kemi lewis and i am an electrical engineer with kodak
commercial and government system. Cam anyone give me information on the
following:

1.) Use of BGAs in space applications
a) How they are effected in space via thermal radiation, functionality over
temperature gradients ( 0 C to 100 C ) and thermal expansion.
b)

2.) Reliability information on plastic versus ceramic BGAs
a). over 100,000 cycles (5-10 yrs in space)
b). Full custom asic
c). Their respective CTEs (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) with regards
to the board being mounted on such as kevlar or Thermount (plastic boards
use in computer etc..)

3.) There are some alternate designs that are based on the traditional BGA
package called Dimple BGA and Column grid array. What does the industry
have to offer on information, especially reliability for these or any other
alternate packages.

4.) What about inspection techniques.

5.) What about testability issues, can't probe pins on bottom of package.
Are there any guidelines for design and layout using BGAs.

6.) We need to use a 256 and 377 packages. Since our current die sizes are
0.7 sq. inches. One with 175 pins with the 256 and the other with 350 pins.
Both using a peak power of 600mW.

7.) Manufactuablity, any guidelines, best practices??

8). Do you do Qualify packages for aerospace?

Other topics:
Are there any vendors of space born Multi Chip Module (MCM)

     If anyone can provide any information on any of the above it would be
greatly appreciated.
          Sincerely

                    Kemi A. Lewis
                    Eastman Kodak
                    Commercial And Government Systems
                    Technical Operations
                    Electro-Optics and Electrical Engineering
                    hone: 716-726-5192