LEADFREE Archives

October 2000

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Wilmot, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leadfree Electronics Assembly E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 09:37:14 -0400
Is there serious development activity on solder alloys using antimony?
If so, has anyone done an environmental impact assessment yet? NOTE:  Such
assessments are required for those that subscribe to the 16 principles
published by the International Chamber of Commerce, known as "The Business
Charter for Sustainable  Development".  Examples, #5 PRIOR ASSESSMENT - "To
assess environmental impacts before starting a new activity or project ..."
and #6 PRODUCTS and SERVICES - "To develop and provide products or services
that have no undue environmental impact and are saf in their intended use,
that are efficient in their consumption of energy and natural resources, and
that can be recycled, reused, or disposed of safely."

Attendees at the 1999 Int'l LF Forum in Minneapolis, MN heard Edwin Smith's
paper on Environmental Impacts and Toxicity of Lead Free Solders" in which
95 tin, 5 antimony solder was tested using five different leach methods (3
US (TCLP, SPLP and STLC), one European (PrEN) and one Japan (JST-13)).
Conclusions >> "The leaching levels are approximately 10,000 times the
maximum allowable in drinking water. The 95Tin-5Antimony allow studied
leached above the regulatory limit in every physical form and in all leach
methods." (Forms tested were 3/8" spheres and -315,+500 solder paste. Based
on this testing, I dispute the comment below that the toxicity of Sb is
related to the oxide form (unless antimony oxide is water soluble). Smith's
sample preparation alloyed the samples under oxygen free conditions.

So, I ask again, is there serious development activity on solder alloys
using antimony?
Are LF solder alloy developers following the ICC principles for sustainable
development?
Lee Wilmot, Sanmina Corp 603/896-2424