TECHNET Archives

August 2000

From:
Gary Camac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 13:45:00 -0500
Good morning all,

I have come across something I have never seen before and thought it would be a good idea
to see what my panel of experts have to say.  I have some assemblies that are showing a
purple stain in the laminate around the gold contacts of a board edge connector.  Under
the microscope,  I see no sign of anything on the laminate on the boards from stock.   I
took a sample of the stock boards and ran them, unpopulated, through the reflow oven and -
lo and behold - I've got a stain.  The stain seems to be in the epoxy.  A little light
scratching with a knife blade takes off something purple.

Any ideas as to what I am looking at?

Gary Camac