TECHNET Archives

August 2000

From:
Mike Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:11:11 -0400
Two items:

1) I recently found defects at test on one of my products which uses a 0.025" pitch PQFP.  The defect was one entire side of the device had all except the outer 4 leads (two per end) uniformly formed above the normal seating plane.  Knowing that this was not the work of a random human thumb I set out to find the cause.  I found that I could duplicate the effect if I took a part and instead of centering it in the pocket of the matrix tray (these parts are received in standard matrix tray) I had is slightly offset the part in the pocket and pressed the upper tray on top of the assembly.  This would bend the leads as In mentioned above.  My suspicion to date is that the part was slightly offset and then vacuum bagged in this condition, resulting in the damage.  This may have been attributable to the supplier, or to us if the tray was resealed.

Another possibility is that the part got miscentered while it was being placed into into the placement equipment and bent when the nozzle came to pick, although In am not sure if the forces could be high enough.

Has anyone been down this path before???

2) It has been touched upon in the past, but In would like to ask more directly.  Does anyone know of a currently available piece of equipment which In can put into my SMT lines (Fuji and Siemens) which will allow me to screen for co-planarity issues.  In want to eliminate the problem at the root, but this tool will give me a better chance of identifying the problems which is difficult since they tend to be low occurrences and random.

Thanks!

Lang