DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Mark Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:23:18 -0500
Mitch,

I have seen about 5 or 6 responses verifying that there was a
problem with RS274 on release 13.  What happened here is that
we hadn't used RS274 prior to this revision of the board.  I had
been generating Gerber using the 'old' method with aperture table
without a problem and never dreamed going to RS274 would matter.
My Gerber was generated ok, just one of the shapes was missing
and no errors or warnings to indicate any problems occurred.  Since
it was on an area of a relatively large, dense board that we didn't
even make any changes to, and the factory needed the boards asap,
we were remiss in checking it (we only checked where we made the
changes).  Anyway, we'll be going to Mentor soon :-( and so
Cadence has not been updated with new releases.  When I went
back and generated the same artwork with Gerber 600x Format,
it was created just fine and everything was there...

The moral of the story- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Regards,

Mark F. Walter, CID - Staff P C Board Designer
Motorola Personal Communications Sector
Smart and Connected Products Group - West
5401 N. Beach St., Fort Worth, TX. 76137-2794

Telephone: (817) 245-2366  FAX: (817) 245-4850
Email: [log in to unmask]
Pager: 1-800-SKYTEL2(7598352) PIN# 2452366