DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Tom Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:19:51 -0400
Mark,

 You can also have problems like this with the 274D format.
A few things you might try:

1) Make sure your Allegro Accuracy [under Drawing Parameters]
and your Gerber Format line up, e.g. if you work in mils [.001"]
and your accuracy is 1, you're at .0001" accuracy in Allegro.
If your Format is 5.3 [Integer places.Decimal places] then the plotter
resolution is only to .001", +/- .0005" and it may not be able to
plot your shapes and cut outs. Try to set you Gerber Format to one place
beyond your Allegro accuracy [current limit of Gerber Format in Allegro
Ver 13.6 is X.5].

2) If your shapes have a lot of fine detail, you may be running out
of memory when your plot file is being built and Allegro may not warn
you. Try building the plot in a directory where you have more memory
available.

3) Make sure your shapes pass the Allegro Shape Check. If they don't,
fix the problems before plotting.

4) Get a Gerber Viewer besides Allegro & use it to check your plots.
Usually, Allegro is right on but when it's wrong it's really wrong
and the internal viewer won't always show the problem.A FREE viewer
is available from Lavenir (Windows/NT) @ :
http://www.Lavenir.com/Download/download.html  and it seems to work well.
We liked it enough we bought a copy so we could save job files for
reference. Other viewers, some free or with demo versions, are available.

5) Try the Cadence Users Group for more help. Details @
 http://www.dacafe.com/USERSGROUPS/Cadence/pcb.html

Tom Martin