DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

June 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"McGlaughlin, Jeffrey A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:33:38 -0400
About a week ago I placed a query asking for information on planer inductor
calculations with this form, I also sent the quire to Rick Hartley. Rick
responded with 30 plus pages of calculus from "Transmission Line Design
Handbook" by Brian C. Wadell (sorry no isdn number as yet). I have reviewed
the formulas and assumption used and think that the system can be reduced to
2 or 3 fairly useful equations.  They are:

Archimedes Spiral Inductors

L= n^2*a^2/8.0a+11.0c (Burkett, assumes ground plane)

or

L= 0.8*n^2*a^2/6.0*a+10.0*c (Wheeler, assumes no trace interaction)

where:

L is inductance in nHy
n is number of turns
a is (outer radius + inner radius)/2.0
c is outer radius - inner radius

radii to be measured in mils

Rectangular Spiral Inductors

L=8.5(A*n^5/3)^1/2

where:

L is inductance in nHy
n is number of turns
A is the area occupied by the inductor in cm^2

I hope someone else finds these as useful as I did.

Jeffrey A. McGlaughlin, C.I.D.
Sr. PCB Designer
Battelle Memorial Institute
Columbus Ohio