TECHNET Archives

April 2000

From:
Gary Camac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 09:03:01 -0500
Good morning everyone,

I had a couple of questions concerning the prevention of fretting corrosion.  I am in the
process of reviewing and updating some of our older process procedures.  At present the
procedure on Lubrication of Connectors is setting in front of me and I have managed to
raise a few questions.  A search of the Technet archives and some old memory banks have
produced: gold to gold - its a good thing, no lubricant required: tin/lead to tin/lead -
its a good thing if lubricated: gold to tin/lead - not good, even with lubrication.  I
know some of the information on this subject is dated, but I don't believe the passing of
time has invalidated it.

On products where we build the entire assembly, I can easily verify the total connector
configuration.  However, when we are building only a circuit board assembly for a
customer, I have no idea of materials used in the mating connectors.  To further
complicate the issue, I know that some connector manufacturers lubricate the tin or
tin/lead female connectors and some manufacturers do not, or at least won't verify that
they do.

Is there an industrial specification/requirement for the lubrication of connectors on
circuit board assemblies that should be called out in the product specification?

At present we are using a contact lubricant on all tin or tin/lead plated male connector
contacts, except when the mating connector is known to be prelubricated.  The lubricant we
are using must be allowed to cure out 24 hours prior to assembly.  This is not real
conducive to lowering cycle times.  Is anyone aware of a contact lubricate the would
improve on this?

Thanks,

Gary Camac