TECHNET Archives

March 2000

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:36:16 -0600
Rick, your comment reinforces the reason that many commercial standards have the "Order of Precedence" statement. I was referring to the same standard that Bill referenced, IPC-A-610. In the case you site for 55110/31032, the certification is only an issue because you and your customer agree to be bound by the qualifying activity.  Any standard, commercial or otherwise, is only invoked as the user and supplier agree. It's accomplished when both parties sign the dotted lines.

I was attempting to point out that if the drawing said to run the jumper around the edge of the board, it didn't matter if IPC-A-610 identified it as a defect. The assembler follows the drawings and up-line inspection would accept to the drawings rather than the standard.  Standards can't be all things to all people; the following words (as agreed through industry consensus balloting) provide the escape mechanism for a user/supplier to adjust their requirements so they can build the product that meets their specific requirements. In the case of mods/engineering change orders, hopefully someone smart enough to weigh all the issues before making a decision where and how to run the jumpers.

IPC/EIA J-STD-001C 3.1 Order of Precedence
"The contract always takes precedence over this tandard, referenced standards and drawings. . . .
3.1.1 Conflict
In the event of conflict between the requirements of this standard and the applicable assembly drawing(s)/documentation, the applicable user aproved assembly drawing(s)/documentation shall govern. In the event of conflict between the requirements of this standard and an assembly drawing(s)/documentation that has not been approved, this standard shall govern.

IPC-A-610C 1.4.3 Acceptance Criteria says:
When IPC-A-610 is cited or required by contract as a stand-alone docuemnt for inspetior and/or acceptance, the requirement of J-STD-001 <title> do not apply (unless separately and specifically required).

In the event of conflict, the following order of precedence applies:

1. Procurement as agreed and documented between customer and vendor.
2. Master drawing or master assembly drawing reflecting the customers detailed requirements.
3. When invoed by the customer or per contractual agreement, IPC-A-610.
4. Other documents to extent specified by the customer.

Both J-STD-001C and IPC-A-610C have this following statement, with only minor grammatical variances:
. . . When J-STD-001 and IPC-A-610 or other related documents are cited, the order of precedence is to be defined i the procurement documents.

>>> "Howieson, Rick" <[log in to unmask]> 03/08/00 05:57PM >>>
Careful what you say, Jack. Your first paragraph indicates standards are
on the bottom of the totem pole. If we violate ANYTHING in Mil-PRF-55110
or Mil-PRF-31032 regardless of what the procuring activity states, we
cannot certify the boards to any of these specs WITHOUT approval from
the qualifying activity.
Rick Howieson
GTC