TECHNET Archives

March 2000

From:
Paul Klasek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:22:49 +1100
Hmmm, Ashok , once i did build a smt switch mode assembly plant from
untreated planed pine .
owner insisted, i agreed (know some classy labs in Nippon crafted that way
too)
1
All coats were deemed out right from start .
Doesn't look quite as new after 5 years, but still the functionality of
antistatic (not dissipative);
humidity , work surface, safety, etc. aspects works flawlessly  .
When you say enamel ; that from my ol skool means ceramic ;
however in the woody case I doubt you bake the "enamel" at 800+'C .
Therefore yo' guilty of naked plastic static generator (apply fox tail for
validations)
In that case 'd go for one of (desco) hand static meters and check :
i'd bet you have a charge sitting there .
Chain dragging Metal trolleys are more common, with dissisipative floor that
is (as you know)
Quick fix is dissipative rubber mat , grounded .
Can't understand why don't you treat side table same as main table.
In this case the auditor is correctly gunning after yo
2
wOOdie slide is fine as long as the varnish (oil preferable, plain planed
ply better) does not in function as charged plastic .
3
Natural bristle in wood proved fine , carbon bristles earthed are optional
luxuries found at intel's washrooms
4
This one's more interesting : the reels are too often plastic,
often my geiger got surprising beeb in areas unexpected .
Chained metal optimal (dissipation, not only antistatic desirable);
notwithstanding with RH above 50% you have none of above worries.
Or use woodie stands with earthed metal rods as back support ;
the wood/metal(may be SSteel in your parts of world)combinations can be very
good on all counts:
looks/cheap/dissipative/etc.
The modern melamines (discount clean room likes) habits converted with
horrendous costs back to dissipations test my sanity way too often.

cu           paul