TECHNET Archives

February 2000

From:
Tegehall Per-Erik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:45:00 +0100
Brian,

Thanks for the information about the background to the 100 Mohm criterion. I
suspected it was something like that. It is not uncommon that the limits of
the test equipment set the acceptance criterion. A big problem is that this
information is not given in the standard so it is impossible for a user to
judge the relevance of the requirement. Although one can understand that
standards organisations do not want to admit that the scientific base for
the criterion is so poor. Most people, I believe, are convinced that if a
criterion of 100 Mohm is given in the standard, there must have been done an
investigation showing that this is what is required to have a reliable
product, and since it has been used for so long time without no one
questioning it, it surely must be a well-grounded criterion. But then we are
back in a discussion held previously at TechNet of what information should
be given in standards and I have a feeling of that I am a good way on
qualifying among the heretic (probably did already in my first email).

I liked the iceberg metaphor and the proposal of how to get it moving and
agree to 100 %.

Cyprus, yes that would be nice. I have to talk to my wife about that.

Per-Erik Tegehall
IVF