TECHNET Archives

February 2000

From:
Steve R Mikell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:31:00 -0600
> -Steve Gregory- wrote on Thursday, 2/24/2000
>
> Hey Ya'll!
>
> I know this is gonna' be one of them questions that I'll probably regret
> asking, but what the hey, I'm gonna ask anyway...
> Our plant like others I've worked at, require that we all wear safety glasses
> when on the production floor. <<<snip>>>
> My operators are starting to really complain now because there's been a real
> crack-down on making sure everybody has their safety glasses on. They have
> the same complaint that I have, when you need to see accurately looking at
> very tiny objects, the glasses are a hindrance...in my opinion.
> Does anybody else my view? Or am I just being a "whiney-butt"?

Before I answer, the following comments DO NOT REFLECT the policy of my
current employer, nor do they necessarily reflect my opinion of my current
management, but only my general experience in facilities I have worked in and
visited........

Steve...., yes, you are a whiney-butt of the first degree, because you are
frustrated by management policies that are written generically because the
stupid, untrainable people they hire to work the floor couldn't possibly keep
track of the areas where they have to wear their glasses.  If, however,
management choose to work the issues, and respected the talents of its
workers, you might restrict lead clipping to certain benches, put up shields,
etc.. and control the specific hazards.  I firmly believe that employees only
follow rules they understand and believe in, that make sense to then to
follow...  Mandates rarely fill needs well, but require much less energy and
thought.  And we ought to give the workers a lot more credit.

> I think that there are places that safety glasses should be worn,<<<snip>>>
>
> Are there any of you out there that have designated areas that safety glasses
> are worn and other places on the production floor that they're not required?
> Or is it always a blanket rule that no matter where you're at on the
> production floor safety glasses are required...

Steve...  many years ago, when I had the opportunity to do my own layout of a
factory for PTH assy, I segregated certain functions, which allowed us to use
glasses only where needed.
Prep was in a cage next to the stockroom, and surrounded by cabinets.  Hand
formed and clipped parts were done at the end of this room.
Pre-load, hand load w\light director (royonics), and slide lines were glasses
free.
Wave solder, batch clean, and mass lead trimming were in another controlled
bay surrounded by cabinets.  The wave solder machine was a TDC Mark Ic, and
very open.  Most wave solder and cleaning systems should be considered glass
free areas unless the machine is open and properly roped off.
Inspection was glasses free.
TU and post solder handload were a glasses area as well.  We considered
putting side shields between operators to augment the panel between the two
bench sides (anti-chatter panel, as described by the shop supervisor !!)

> I know I'm gonna regret this...
And so will I....!!??

Best of luck,
Steve Mikell