TECHNET Archives

February 2000

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:26:39 -0000
Something very similar was raised last year in the 'net, and was greeted with a modicum of
scepticism, not to say merriment by certain 'netters.

I offer the following little anecdote if you can be bothered to read it.....

By coincidence at that time there was a bunch of advertising in our local press for a variety of
domestic
devices based on either permanent magnets or (!!!) COMPUTER CONTROLLED (!!!) electromagnets. So
out of curiosity I sent away for this stuff (it was all freephone numbers so cost nothing), and
it all seemed very similar.

The claim is that the magnetic field effects the behaviour/structure of dissolved salts
(hardness) so that the water effectively becomes soft. All the literature claimed amazing
results, some was qualified to say that the effect wore off in a few days of storage, or lasted
as long as a few days etc. The computer controlled coils were quite amusing, as they seemed to
consist of about half a dozen hand made turns on any pipe anywhere you could find a space, with
the power source consuming less than 3 Watts. There was a noticeable absence of hard fact or
reference, so mentally I filed this stuff into the same category as other pseudo-science devices
such as ultrasonic bug/mole/cat/dog/ bat/bird deterrents and
forgot all about it.

But... a week or two later my local hardware store was getting rid of end of line and damaged
stock and they had one of these things for sale for £5.00. So in the true spirit of scientific
enquiry I bought  and  fitted it. And hey, you never know.

It is still there under the kitchen sink, merrily but silently, altering the electronic
structure of my dissolved water hardness but making not the slightest discernible difference to
the rate at which my kettle furs up, my shower head blocks, the amount of detergent needed in my
washing machine or crud on top of my tea and so on. So naturally I concluded that the water in
the pipe takes longer than 5 days to go the three feet to the tap and rest of the house. There
is just one more thing to check, before coming to a definite conclusion:

Soft water is not the same as DI, so if I was a true scientist I would hack my pipes open to see
if the hard water scale coating them has been reduced. I figure that some time in the next
decade or so I will need to alter my plumbing and have made a note to check this out at that
time.  In the meantime I keep an open mind, but I think possibly something more powerful is
needed....

Yours in fun

Mike Fenner