TECHNET Archives

February 2000

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:40:09 -0000
I 've read all the posts now on this and the idea to use dispense cartridges is good.
However I find myself at slight odds with other netties so here is my more orthodox purist
viewpoint...

Start from the premise that the important thing in any continuing production operation is to
eliminate unknown and uncontrolled variables, to be in control in other words.

The best way to control paste is to buy it in containers that are no bigger than the amount of
material you will use in one work period.

That way you don't have anything to put back in the fridge .... All variations and worries about
how many times have I used this stuff, how long has it been out are thus eliminated in one go.

The problem for small users is that this is likely to be less than the amount needed to load the
printer. So you need some rules and reasons for rules:

Refrigerated paste should be allowed to come to ambient before use and  certainly even before
exposing material to air.
Reason: Cold paste has a different rheology to warm paste.
Cold paste will suffer from condensation on the stencil and in the jar.
A stencil printer is designed to expose the maximum area of paste to the air to help this
process and then to thoroughly mix it and then expose some more paste and so on.  (You think of
this process as printing.) Flux activators are probably more soluble in water and probably more
active as well. (Any paste formulators still reading: I know this is a massive generalisation
and yours is probably OK, it's the others I'm referring to).
So the effect of this on a production basis is that the rheology of the paste will change
immediately after the start of a new work period and each time you replenish your paste.
An uncontrolled variable.

The chemistry is changing too. The effect of the water is most likely to use up the activator
and maybe provoke a reaction in the paste that will send the viscosity up. plus the water is
diluting the
paste (viscosity down)and you get a little solvent loss as well [viscosity up], overall:
rheology tack etc now gone... sideways??
So, the first time you use paste with added humidity its probably OK, but if you keep on adding
humidity you are no longer using the paste you approved and  bought. Another uncontrolled
variable. [If it was better to add a little water then your paste supplier would already have
done it for you.] .

If you keep recycling the paste these effects will become significant from shift to shift not
just within shifts.

So the rules stand:
Don't use paste straight from the fridge
Don't open containers till paste has come to equilibrium. (This could be as much as 10 hours for
a 500gm jar.)
Don't return old paste to part used jars (Put it in an empty jar marked used 1x, used 2x ... for
recycle or whatever).
Buy small containers.

On a pragmatic basis you can decide how far you can go from these absolutes depending on the
quality of your staff, how much discretion you can allow. Bearing in mind the relative costs of
solder paste to boards components, to rectification costs and risks  and so on I would suggest
not much. Why give yourself the hassle?

Mike