DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Baltus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Baltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:43:36 -0600
Eoin Carroll,

There should be no problems running this type of current on PC boards.  We run
currents as high as 150 Amps through ours, of course track widths will depend on
the copper weight and temp rating of the board.  Listed below are some solutions
depending on copper weight with an FR4 board material.

Copper Weight   Track Width Layer
1oz         .152"           External
1oz         .386            Internal
2oz         .076            External
2oz         .193            Internal
3oz         .051            External
3oz         .129            Internal
4oz         .038            External
4oz         .097            Internal

Above are some of the copper weights that are common here.  We have also used up
to 12oz copper but this is heavy and costly.  The above track widths are with a
45 degrees C rise allowed but with still plenty of a window as not to exceed the
board temp rating.  You can get a current calculator for pc boards from UltraCad
Designs, Inc on the internet. (www.ultracad.com)  They have many other handy
calc programs for pc boards also.

Have fun with the layout and have a good weekend!

Brian J. Baltus, C.I.D.
Associate Engineer, Printed Circuit Board Design Team
Best Power, Inc
P.O. Box 280
N9246 Highway 80
Necedah, WI.  54646