DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kelly M. Schriver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 14:03:35 -0600
Hi again All -

The issue of sockets and/or connectors and conformal coatings has several
solutions -

First -- if you're using a urethane or similar, that has a tendency to wick
in areas which provide an opportunity for capillary action, then you must
first use some form of sealant to close off that area.  The basic conformal
coating, thickened with silicone dioxide (spelled Cab-O-Sil from the Cabbot
Corp. or similar) may work quite well.  Otherwise, one of the sealant grade
silicones (for electrical applications - avoid the acetic acid curables) may
also do the job.  (The coating, unless a compatible silicone, will normally
not bond to this material.)

Second - a good masking job on the connector or socket face is necessary to
prevent coating the contact areas.

If you are using an acrylic, or similar, that tends to dry almost instantly
and does not wick, then the sealant may be unnecessary.  Vapor deposited
coatings, such as the Parylene family bring on another situation - masking
requires a very professional masking job to prevent coating entry into the
contact area of connectors/sockets and in some cases switch bodies.

Lastly - dip coating application, as opposed to brush or spray, can impose a
whole new set of rules.  All of these items have to be weighed out in the
course of design materials selection to avoid blowing the cost envelope.

Hint -- a really good solder mask (one of the LPI epoxy resins) can do a
great job of providing improved surface dielectic properties on the board
and under component bodies.  Coupled with a moderately good conformal
coating job, it provides a lot of protection.

Regards -- Kelly

PS/ There are a whole bunch of different ways to mask items for volume
production, provided the manufacturing engineer has some flexibility in the
material and application requirements.