DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 09:19:01 -0500
Jerry,

We considered them years ago for our products (used by electric
utilities in outside environment but mounted in NEMA 4/6 enclosures)
and decided against them.  Our products have a LONG service life
(20-30 years) we hope and doing a conformal coating pretty much screws
up any chance of repairs without a LOT of effort.  Also, we use
sockets for the ICs (for the repair reason) and because we have a
microprocessor and thus a prom.  Sockets and conformal coatings, from
what my assy house told me are very much incompatible.  Messy stuff -
they didn't like to apply them and the environmental situation is such
that the formulations have had to become so benign that they are less
effective than they used to be.  The old hard fugus resistant
varnishes used in WW2 were bullet-proof.  If you have a tropical
environment (very high humidity and temp) then you may have no choice.
If you pick one, avoid sockets and mask connectors well.  Use a type
that has a UV flurorescent dye that will show you where the pinholes
are for touch up.

May the Schwartz be with you; you will  need him if you go conformal
coatings (yuck!)!

Bob