TECHNET Archives

January 2000

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 12:47:23 -0000
Carry on believing it, the essence of a patent is that it proves novelty/invention and
subject artefact  is not based on prior art/common knowledge. The enemy of this is
premature disclosure. Having said that, big money is changing this. In the US in
particular companies now appear to be to be able to patent discoveries, (I refer to
genetics), but that's a long way from electronic assemblies.

Incidentally my experience of protecting IP was that it  was better to copyright it.
Certainly in program codes on projects we worked on, connecting our devices (or any
product using our pirated code) to a PC com port  produced an on screen message stating
stolen from "our name" also details of our legal representative.....

Mike Fenner