TECHNET Archives

January 2000

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:46:21 -0000
Hello Brian. Yes you're right of course, and in previous incarnations I also have spent
lots of time measuring such as CO2 gulps and pondering the significance or otherwise of
such things, but I was trying to avoid getting into the theology of these machines. The
point I was trying to make, - maybe I could have spelled it out more clearly - was that
the results from these machines (IMHO) do not make absolute measurements of anything very
much for the type of reasons you give, they are useful in process control as they provide
numbers in real time which can be related to reliability. When measuring differences like
this errors tend to be become part of the base line / subtracted out.