TECHNET Archives

January 2000

From:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:44:24 -0000
These instruments are designed to wash ionic material from a specimen. The difference is
that the Omegameter processes for a fixed time. The Zero Ion [and the Ionograpgh]
allegedly extract till there is nothing left. So in theory you can use an Omegameter like
a Zero Ion by simply continuously replacing your sample back in the machine until the
reading doesn't change and then adding all the readings up, or you can do the opposite and
take your work out after a fixed time from the other two. Consideration of the above shows
that readings taken on one machine type can't be equated to readings from another, the
quality of correlation will obviously depend on the rate at which the ionic material
dissolves into the system.

The amount of ionic material collected by the machine is then manipulated mathematically
into a number which is called the amount of contamination per unit area of PCB.
Keep in mind that this is an average number only and is not qualitative:
You don't really know what the ionic contamination is, nor do you know its distribution on
your work. You assume it comes only from your prior processing and is even distributed.

These machines are  good for process control and measuring the effect of process changes
as results are obtained quickly enough to respond to in real world time.
In an ideal world to use them as a shopfloor method  for determination of reliability you
would first need to plot their readings against time to fail in say SIR testing  or
accelerated ageing trials for the specific process they are to be used on.
In this real world you may have to adopt a more pragmatic method , like trying to find out
what other similar companies to yours do, industry sector practice  and so on.

Mike Fenner