DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:29:20 -0500
Yes, and the crystal was the rock crystal called galena (orginally but
later germanium and then silicon the first hermetic diodes used a cat
whisker point contact that emulated the old crystal radio sets.  I
recall building a Phillmore Jr. way back when and winding my own coil
too.  Reception was pretty darn good (AM stations really pump pump
ouit the power).

These days, we use the "D" designation instead.  yes, K stands for
coil, more specifically a relay coil.  K on a diode is of course the
Kathode (though why it is spelled that way eludes me - maybe it's a
German derivation as in Kathode Ray tube but then the Germans call
CRTs Braun tubes for the scientist who invented them).

Bob Landman